Let's face it. In life, there are people and places that give terrible advice, about anything and everything. When I was in college, a girl at the dining hall revealed her big weight loss secret to a bunch of us struggling with the freshman 15: stop eating fat and only eat carbs. I thought that was brilliant and happily gobbled down 2 bagels covered in jam for the next 9 months for most meals. Let's just say I neither looked nor felt healthy.
The bad advice continued through my 20s (a lot of it revolved around careers and cocktails) and then when I hit my 30s the parenting bad advice started.
I should pause here though, because I have gotten a lot of fabulous advice these past several decades. I could write a lot about the good advice coming from very wise and resourceful friends, but that might be boring (at least for the purpose of this little missive).
That said, I could write pages and pages on bad parenting advice, but tonight I will narrow my focus.
So here you go...
The top 10 WORST Sleep Tips...
1. Keep your baby up all day so he will sleep at night.
2. My baby slept through the night at 8 weeks; I bet yours is ready too!
3. Give him rice cereal to keep him full all night.
4. Let her sleep in a loud noisy environment; life is loud and noisy.
5. You are a bad mother if you let her cry.
6. You are a bad mother if you bring him into your bed.
7. Keep her up super late, and then she will sleep super late.
8. Just do cry it out until it works.
9. You are a bad mother if you don't let him cry.
10. It is too late to sleep train; you might as well accept your situation.
I am sure you all could add to this list, it's just a start.